It’s no surprise that stores across the country have been severely impacted by COVID-19 this year. The shutdown of local businesses, coupled with supply chain disruptions, has forced many of us to do our shopping through online marketplaces, like Amazon. But while Amazon is convenient, research shows that if we instead shop at local businesses, for every $100 spent, nearly $70 will stay in the community.
The good news is that the rapidly-approaching holidays provide the perfect opportunity to support your community while bringing smiles to the faces of family and friends. To make your shopping a bit easier, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite local stores and restaurants in the greater Detroit area. But first, a few tips before you get started!
Tips to make your holiday shopping easier
If you like to see things first-hand before you buy them—or you simply love the experience of holiday shopping—here are some tips for making your in-person holiday shopping experience easier and more enjoyable:
- Call ahead or go online. Before you head over to these great businesses, call them or go online to make sure they’re open, to see what precautions they’re taking, and to find out what kind of shopping they currently offer.
- Dress warmly for in-person shopping as you may have to wait a few minutes outside stores that have reached capacity.
- Consider scheduling a shopping appointment. Some stores are offering private or semi-private in-person shopping appointments. Call or check online to see if your favorite store offers shopping appointments.
- Bring multiple payment options. We recommend bringing a credit and debit card, as well as a touchless payment app, like Apple Pay or Venmo, to make sure you don’t run into any payment barriers while shopping.
- If you’re feeling overwhelmed, buy a gift card. Whether you’re feeling stressed out by lines of people or you just can’t decide what to get that special someone, default to a gift card. A gift card says, “I care about you enough to let you pick what you really want,” and are also a great way to support local restaurants when you can’t eat in-person with your friends or relatives.
Greater Detroit area local businesses to support with your holiday shopping
And now, here are eight of our favorite local businesses to shop this holiday season:
- Guadino’s Italian – St. Clair Shores. Do you have someone in your life who loves authentic Italian cuisine? Guadino’s offers gift cards to their restaurant and imported cheeses, olives, and house made Italian sausage from their Market to delight friends and family. You can even let them cater your holiday with family-friendly takeout dishes like chicken parmesan, baby back ribs, pizza, salad, and garlic bread. Guadino’s is currently closed for inside dining, but you can order takeout or Market items online or by phone.
- Good Cakes and Bakes – Livernois. Carson Daly called Good Cakes and Bakes, “the best cake ever,” and we have to agree with him. This holiday, show the people in your life how much you care about them with a fresh, organic Lemon Gooey Butter Cake, and minimize cooking with a box of blueberry muffins for breakfast. Trust us, Good Cakes and Bakes will make you the hit of the holiday! They also offer vegan options, so you can get tasty treats that everyone can enjoy.
- House of Pure Vin – Downtown. House of Pure Vin is Detroit’s premier fine wine shop, and their knowledgeable staff can help you pick the perfect bottle for your next holiday get-together (or stay-in). If you’re shopping for that sommelier in your life but you’re not completely sure what they like, give them a gift card and let them enjoy picking out their perfect bottle. House of Pure Vin also offers 6 and 12 month wine memberships that include a 10% discount off all store items and a private wine tasting for up to 10 friends.
- Good Neighbor – Downtown. With crowd favorites like cozy loungewear and hip, stylish boots, Good Neighbor is one of our favorite lifestyle shops in the greater Detroit area. Shop mens and womens clothing, jewelry, fragrances, and more for the fashionistas in your life while supporting local Detroit businesses. Plus, Good Neighbor’s brands are sourced mindfully, manufactured ethically, and a percentage of their proceeds go to charity. Make a positive impact in your community while giving unique gifts that are sure to stand out.
- Whistle Stop Hobby and Toy – St. Clair Shores. From traditional favorites like dollhouses and Hot Wheels cars, to learning games and radio-controlled boats, Whistle Stop has your child’s favorite new toys stocked. Do you have an older child who still loves to play? Keep them entertained all winter-long with a model train kit. Plus, you can make holiday shopping for your little ones easy this year by letting them fill out their own downloadable wish list. Curbside pickup is available.
- Shinola – New Center, Midtown, and Downtown. Shinola believes in manufacturing products that last, right here in America. Since 2011, this company has been making handcrafted watches and leather goods on the fifth floor of the Argonaut building in New Center. They also sell other quality goods, like bicycles, journals, clothing, and accessories, in their Midtown and Downtown locations. And to make shopping easier than ever this holiday season, Shinola has released their holiday gift guide. We recommend the Alpaca Throw Blanket for a cozy—and highly fashionable—gift. Schedule a virtual or in-store shopping appointment.
- Third Man Records – Midtown. Third Man Records is White Stripes frontman, Jack White’s, record label, and features artists like the Alabama Shakes, Margo Price, and the Raconteurs. You can purchase records, turntables, posters, and more directly from the pressing factory for your favorite vinyl lover. The shop isn’t currently open to the public, so order online.
- Division Street Boutique – Eastern Market. Division Street Boutique—best known for their famous “Detroit Hustles Harder” brand—creates quality and thought-provoking clothing and accessories in the oldest historic market in the country. The shop’s mission is to shine a spotlight on Detroit’s emerging and established artists through collaboration while portraying an honest self-expression of the city. We love their beautiful woodworking pieces and cropped fleece hoodies. Division Street Boutiques is currently closed to the public, so place your order online.
Give the gift of rejuvenation this season
Do you know someone who would love a skincare treatment this holiday? Give the gift of self-confidence with a gift certificate for BOTOX or dermal filler injections, a chemical peel, or a laser skin resurfacing treatment from our board-certified cosmetic surgeon, Dr. George Goffas. Contact our greater Detroit practice online or by calling (586) 773-6900 to purchase a gift certificate today.